Friday, July 31, 2009

Southeast Whitesburg Mural--29 Me and my peeps


Do young people still use "peeps" for people or friends? I'm probably woefully out of date with my slang. Got one of the nice folks in Adult Education to take this picture of me standing among the portraits on the wall. Gives you a better idea of the scale of it all.

Moving forward with "all due deliberate speed," in the last couple of days I've been trying to so a smaller number of faces at once, but completely finish more figures. Here's today's work area, and below it an overview of the entire wall.



I will soon have to stop painting people -- to wait for the powers that be to install the stone plaque on the left hand side. [Currently TPTB are saying that they can't get to the task until August 10]. I'm fearful of painting too close, I don't want the workmen to destroy anything I've already painted, and there's been some debate on exactly where the plaque will sit. I may have two more feet of space to paint or only six inches more, beyond where I've sketched in faces. While I wait for that, there's lots I need to do, to fill in the middle ground with smaller figures feeding ducks. The folks behind this insist that there have to be students feeding ducks!!

3 comments:

Deborah Godin said...

You are doing a fantastic job on that, I'm just blown away by how cool it looks, and that is just from a photo!! And I don't know if slang ever truly goes out of style, but you can always say it like you know it's retro and you're just having fun with it. No one will know if you're being helplessly out-of-date or hi and retro... :-)

SandyCarlson said...

Your mural is looking really good, Sue. You have so much talent.

I still hear peeps around the hood!

Qaro said...

I haven't been around for a while. (I've been in a funk. Which is not a thing like getting funky!)

Great work, it looks awesome! Go mighty ducks!

I use peeps! I mean I use "peeps!" : )