Monday, July 13, 2009

Southeast Whitesburg Mural--16 Finishing the Buildings


Hooray, hoorah! This morning I finished (at least for the present) all the upper level work, and could reset the scaffold to a less intimidating height for the afternoon painting. Getting up and down is soooo much easier. Angela Hunsucker, one of our wonderful maintenance staff helped me unload everything off the top platform (which set at about 5 feet), then remove it and replace it at the bottom of the scaffolding. This left on top the platform that was set at about 3 feet off the floor.

Taking off work for a few days (to rest my back), gave me a fresh perspective, and I was able to move quickly through all the things that remained to be done with the buildings.

One key thing that needed to be done today, was to compensate for some small errors in proportion on the Administration/Coca-Cola building. That's just something that happens when you draw free hand, you don't always get all the proportions exactly right. In my newly enlightened state of mind, I accept the existence of such errors, and am learning to deal with them gracefully and then move on.

The large, old maple tree got its foliage today -- lots of bright spring greens. Unfortunately, I got a little slap-happy at the top of the wall, and didn't realize until the paint had dried, that some of the leaves were on the ceiling tiles. Oops.

Today was also the day to finish all the details on the windows and doors of the Allied Health Building, and add some asphalt in front of the building. I am not quite sure how I will finish off the area between the building and the river in the painting. Probably with shrubbery and grasses, but I'm still thinking about the problem. In reality, the back of this building faces the river, but the back is even blander and more box like than the front, so I made the decision to go with the front of the building, but orient it towards the river.

After lunch with the scaffolding changed, I went back and worked on the shrubbery and other details for the Administration/Coca-Cola Building.

3 comments:

Deborah Godin said...

That looks terrific! I am very impressed with how you're putting it all together. That's quite an undertaking you...undertook - lol!!

Geraldine said...

Looking good Sue, looking good!!!

Hope your back is feeling much better too.

Hugs, G

Qaro said...

Nice!

Leaves on the ceiling tiles, it'll be your Sistine Chapel! : )