Thursday, July 16, 2009

Southeast Whitesburg Mural--19 forgot the camera


Today I painted four more faces, and worked on clothing details. I really wanted to share what I did today, because I'm quite tickled with how the faces are coming out. I'm using photos of students as inspiration, but deliberately making each face slightly different, so that the painting suggests the original, but don't look exactly like the models. I want the students to look familiar and realistic, but not have observers spending time trying to pin names on them.

Unfortunately when I stopped in my office before coming home, I left the camera in my painting bag instead of putting it in my purse. Instead, above is a wonderful picture by Chris Jones, public relations officer for the college taken a few days ago just after I finished the upper portion of the mural. He has a much better camera (SLR) than I do, and so the colors come across better, more like they look in person. The two people flanking me are Judy Leonard, Director of Advancement (fundraising), and Eugene Meade, campus director for the Whitesburg campus.

I love the fact that being an "artist" gives one license to dress in comfortable, sloppy overalls in the work place. Makes me appear younger than Judy and Eugene despite us all being about the same age.

Photo by Chris Jones, Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College, July 14, 2009.

1 comment:

Quiet Paths said...

Wow, you've done a lot since I have been gone. It's really looking great!