Friday, May 15, 2009

random musings

Why does fresh fruit and vegetables grown in California cost more here in California that they do in Kentucky?

As an obese woman I was painfully aware today, that there were no fat people at the upscale mall stores like Whole Foods, Macy's, Williams Sonoma, and Crate & Barrel. Every one was skinny. Later when I went to K-Mart, everyone was overweight. A social class correlation if I ever saw one.

How can people live in a house for 54 years and not have any comfortable chairs? Okay, they have one, but that's my dad's chair, where he has to keep his feet elevated. Today's excursion included a quest for some seat cushions to make some of my parents chairs more tolerable to my back.

The mood here in California, in the midst of a fiscal crisis, reminds me the mood in New York City in 1974 when the city was endanger of financial default. That happened to be the year that The Taking of Penhelm 123 was on the best seller list, and I read it during the few days that I was in New York. The mood of that book fit the mood in NYC at that time. I'm intrigued that some one has done a remake of that movie now.

1 comment:

Deborah Godin said...

Funny you should mention that - I just yesterday saw the trailer for the remake. I'm going to have to give my self a refresher on it, been a long time since I saw the first one. I've also seen programs that included a discussion of the weight and social classissue you mentioned. There's a lot of grist for the mill of change out there...