Tuesday, July 1, 2008

some days no one dies

This might just be a case of moving from the sublime (see today's previous post below) to the ridiculous to some people, but I would maintain not.

I first heard of Dr. Who from a college friend who was exposed to exposed to British television growing up in Malaysia and Singapore. I first watched Dr. Who, when PBS stations around the nation started airing the series. At the time (1983) I watched the PennState Public Broadcast station out of State College, PA. I became a devoted fan, especially of the Tom Baker years, but of the whole corpus of Dr. Whodom. some of my fondest memories involve Dr. Who watching sessions with friends.

So it was with great excitement that I renewed my acquaintance with the Doctor when the series was reborn, and the Science Fiction channel picked it up for American viewers, four summers ago.

I was quite taken with Billie Piper as the Doctor's companion Rose in seasons 1 and 2 of the new Doctor Who. But I think that the two part, two hour episode that aired this past Friday, Forest of the Dead ranks as my all-time favorite episode. It was heartwarming to learn that some where in his future the Doctor trusts someone enough to share with them his true name.

No comments: