Sunday, July 20, 2008

like riding a bicycle...

It has been a number of years since I've drawn a portrait of anyone much less of myself, and I wondered if it was like a foreign language -- something you lose if you don't use it; or whether it was more like riding a bicycle, part of the body memory that never really goes away. [Top drawing is pencil HB4, the bottom is charcoal pencil dark/soft and light/hard]


[updated: My husband showed me how to better adjust the brightness and contrast on the scanner to get an electronic image that was closer to the drawing.]

4 comments:

Qaro said...

Oh, you're an artist! Beautiful. I think I like the top one better, where you're looking at us.

Jessica G said...

Doesn't look like you've lost it at all!

Sue said...

Yeah, the art is still there, unfortunately the face has gone to flab!

Sue said...

I need to try again and see if I can maintain a smile while drawing. It's not impossible, but it does make it harder!