Wednesday, October 21, 2009

fare-thee-well, tigger

It's been a long time since my cat Tigger was he of the "bouncy, bouncy tail." He's suffered from a diseased pancreas for several years, but for the last six months its been clear that continuing to live was a daily battle for our indomitable Tigger. We had to feed him four or five times a day to make sure that he got even a tiny amount of nutrition. He'd often sit on the kitchen counter waiting for the next meal. Even with all he ate, he continued to loose weight -- he weighed less than three pounds, all skin and bones literally. But he continued to be interesting in life, in cuddling up with humans and other cats, with exploring boxes and investigating corners.

This morning he decided that the struggle was too much, and he stopped eating and lay down. So together Tigger and I made a last trip over the mountain to our friends at Pound Veterinary Hospital. When I came home, John and I dug another small grave at the corner of our yard under the pine trees, and placed Tigger to rest with the other beloved pets who have gone before.



Sleep well, Tigger.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My deepest sympathies to you both and may your kitty find comfort amongst friends next to my jazzy & boo! We miss them so much when they go but the memories they leave us with are worth all the tears when they leave. Hugs. Tammy

Amias (ljm and liquidplastic) said...

I am so very sorry about Tigger. But I know you did the right thing. Bless you. Pet gives such unconditional love ...

Geraldine said...

Sending hugs your way Sue. I know what a heartwrenching experience this is. It never gets any easier...

Take care, G

WH said...

I don't know of anything harder. I put down mine two months ago, and I still miss her. My heart goes out to you.

Jim said...

Sue, I am sorry for your loss. Tigger was a good, dear, family friend. You will miss him a lot. It is good that he can be burried in the family pet plot in your own yard.
You will always remember him. I think that is good. We lost our cat several years ago. Farrah was an outside cat after we caught her climbing on the curtains. After a very long life she died in her sleep in the flower bed.
Words can't bring him back, but you gave Tigger a very nice life. You couldn't have done anything better than that for him.
..

joy said...

I literally know how you feel. We lost one Sunday, he was a great friend to me. The kids are very upset, he was a playmate. He had an obstruction in his throat and wasted away. It's very hard.