Saturday, October 17, 2009

Bad Branch at dawn

This is what I got up before five AM to do -- take these two pictures. Actually I took almost a hundred pictures, but these are the two that made the cold, the wet and the dark all worthwhile.

Thomas R. Biggs the instructor of the photography class that I'm taking (which officially starts in ten minutes in a classroom downstairs from my office where I am now), met a few of us more foolhardy souls before dawn at the Bad Branch Falls Nature Preserve in Letcher County, Kentucky. We hiked a short distance in the dark to the first bridge across Bad Branch, and set up our tripods and cameras and waited for the first glimmers of light.

An awe-inspiring, if cold and wet, experience.

On the way out, I snapped a few shots of the trail before my batteries went dead.

6 comments:

Amias (ljm and liquidplastic) said...

My Goodness, Sue, these are beautiful, beyond words!

Geraldine said...

These are truly outstanding! Such depth and beauty.

joy said...

WOW, how is it possible to doubt God when you witness something as this?

joy said...

WOW, how is it possible to doubt God when you witness something as this?

Quiet Paths said...

So well done! What a joy getting up early for such a task. Good for you, Sue. It's beautiful.

Qaro said...

Those are amazing pictures!