Wednesday, August 6, 2008

free rice -- and lots of vocabulary

One of today's in service sessions was about "favorite faculty websites" that had been collected by one of our librarians. There were lots of good reference sites, especially in the natural sciences and climatology. But the one that fascinated me the most is the Free Rice site.

Free rice provides the user with vocabulary tests (and a chance to build your vocabulary). According to the site: "For each word you get right, we donate 20 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program." The site also carries a caution: "WARNING: This game may make you smarter. It may improve your speaking, writing, thinking, grades, job performance..."

It's fun and addictive. I managed to donate about 8,000 grains of rice today in two 30 minute sessions. I was also amazed at how many words I knew, and how many I could figure out. For example, I was able to figure out correctly that 'stenosis' means 'stricture.' My vocabulary level is about 46. I learned a bunch of new words today also -- mostly obscure nouns for odd things.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow. THAT is addicting!

Thanks for sharing!

Qaro said...

Fun!

I only got up to 44.

Sprat!