Tuesday, August 3, 2010

today while the flowers still cling to the vine...

The first line of my favorite song from childhood "Today" performed by the New Christy Minstrels. Through the power of my iPod, I took a wonderful mental trip back through childhood, while enjoying the mountain scenery on my hour plus drive to and from in-service this morning.

Songs recorded by Peter, Paul and Mary, the New Christy Minstrels and Pete Seeger, that my brothers and I sang in the car on family trips, like "If I Had a Hammer," and "Little Houses made of Ticky Tacky," and "Michael Row the Boat Ashore." The version of that song on my iPod is from a live album, and features hundreds of audience voices joining the performers on repeated verses. And I was transported for a moment, to a day, when United Air Lines celebrating their first jet passenger planes from McDonnell-Douglas, had invited all San Francisco Maintenance Base employees and their families to a huge party in a cavernous hanger, with music by the New Christy Minstrels. I tell you, you have not heard anything until you hear 5,000 people, young and old, singing "Michael Row the Boat Ashore" inside the acoustic miracle of a jet hanger. It was, and continues to be the most awesome musical experience of my entire life.

3 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

I will have to give that a try. Michael is one of my favorites. Brings me to my knees every time.

Geraldine said...

Oh that sounds so special Sue. I love taking "trips" like that, down the memory lane.

for me, seeing Judy Collins live at Stratford Festival in Ontario would be close to the top of that list. She was amazing. Also Burton Cummings, live at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, magical moments.

gotta go, thunder has arrived! G

Maggie May said...

Ah yes......... that takes me back. I definitely liked that kind of music.
Maggie X

Nuts in May