Friday, October 24, 2008

serendipity

Moments of serendipity this week:

Wednesday morning, coming over the rise on U.S. 119 past Kona, just a young male buck with a first year rack stepped out of the shadows of the forest, into the sunlit meadow along the road. I slowed down (from 55 to 40) to get a good look, as did the car who came over the rise next. The buck stood still as a statue for thirty seconds (it seemed like so much longer), then tossed his head, spun around and ran, his white tail flipping, back into the dark of the forest.

This morning, traveling west on U.S. 119 over Pine Mountain on the way to Cumberland, KY, just as I came over the crest of the mountain and had this huge autumn panorama laid out before me, my iPod shuffle hit George Winston's recording of Pachelbel's Canon in D. Perfect moment. I've probably heard two dozen different recordings of the Canon in D over the years, but it never fails to lift my spirits and inspire me. Combined with the extraordinary vista of red and gold forested mountains took my breath away.

2 comments:

Raven said...

There really is something about Pachelbel (did I spell that right?) that is inspiring and healing at the same time. I've never seen a buck in person - or that many deer for that matter. Must have been extraordinary.

Qaro said...

Wow, that's a really cool, understated masculine version of the cannon. It would be really fun to drive to. I need to make me a driving cd and then go driving. I like the way it ends!

(Ooh, I could mash it up with "Sunny" by Bobby Hebb.)