Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Elul 9, 5768

One thing I ask of the Lord
only that do I seek;
to live in the house of the Lord
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord,
to frequent His temple.
Psalm 27:4


The amazing thing is that this wish has already been granted for all of us, for the universe is the house of the Lord, the temple of G-d; the plants, animals and people the inhabitants of that house. All we need do is open our eyes, our ears and our hearts to sense G-d all around us.

The problem is that so much of the time, the business of daily life, the buzz of work, school, chores, shopping, daily worries, fills our senses and hearts and blocks our awareness.

I feel lucky that I live in the country, where the world is still and green, and it is easier to sense the divine. But some times listening is scary, because it makes me aware of how far I need to go to be the kind of person I really want to be. So its easier many days to just turn on the TV and bury the senses in white noise. This year I resolve to spend more time just being in the world, to stretch out my senses for that touch from G-d.

No comments: